LINKS TO MY PAGES

Thursday 29 March 2012

Random acts of kindness

Was inspired to write today when faced with the idea of random acts of kindness to others and how you go about repaying them. Recently I was offered most of the course books for my future MA course for free by a student of the OU who had completed their MA and wanted to ensure the books went to a good home. I received them gratefully but despite my efforts the student declined to let me pay for the postage, so instead I suggested making an equivalent donation to charity.

After reading about the RSPCA inspector Emma Hoskins, who successfully completed the Freedom Challenge in 2011 to raise funds for the RSPCA  Stapeley Grange Wildlife Centre and Cattery in Nantwich, Cheshire. I decided that would be the charity. Having only completed a few ½ marathon charity walks I can’t imagine the fatigue involved in 1,500 miles, even if it was for a good cause, very inspiring indeed. Just after I completed my donation I saw someone had just donated £500, so Emma is only £4000 away from her £15,000 target.

Anyone wanting to donate can do so at…    http://www.justgiving.com/EMMA-HOSKINS

 
What Emma's website says about her trip
'The Run
In October 2011 I will be running 1,500 miles across South Africa, from Durban to Cape Town.  
I will be following the Freedom Trail, which is a mountain bike trail used for a race called the Freedom Challenge.  This journey will take me approximately two months including a few days for rest and travel.  I will need to be running on average 25 miles per day depending on where I can eat and sleep.'


No comments:

Post a Comment